NGIT is a Local Chapter for NPTEL ( Id : LC-2181)
NPTEL has set up a SWAYAM-NPTEL Local Chapter in college which will be under the headship of a faculty member of the college, who would be their Single Point of Contact (SPOC). SPOC is updated about all the latest NPTEL initiatives and given information which he can disseminate among the students. He will identify suitable mentors for various courses, who can ensure that students are active in a course, are submitting their assignments on time and also clarify the doubts they may have.
NGIT conducts regular Professor-led review classes and labs for the NPTEL courses being pursued by the NGIT students , for the entire duration of the course. This will enable the student to understand the subject better and perform well in the final exam.
NPTEL Courses taken by NGIT students in AY 2018-19 :
The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) was initiated by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore in 2003. Five core disciplines were identified, namely, civil engineering, computer science and engineering, electrical engineering, electronics and communication engineering and mechanical engineering and 235 courses in web/video format were developed in this phase.
The main goal of NPTEL Phase II (2009-14) was to build on the engineering and core science courses launched previously in NPTEL Phase I. An additional 600 web and video courses were created in all major branches of engineering, physical sciences at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and management courses at the postgraduate level. Several improvements such as indexing of all video and web courses and keyword search were implemented.
- Largest online repository in the world of courses in engineering, basic sciences and selected humanities and social sciences subjects
- Online web portal http://nptel.ac.in – more than 471 million+ views
- Youtube channel for NPTEL – most subscribed educational channel, 1.5 million+ channel subscribers, 404 million+ views
- More than 56000 hours of video content
- Most accessed library of peer-reviewed educational content in the world
- 52000+ hours of transcribed content; 51000+ hours of subtitled videos
NPTEL began offering open online courses in March 2014 along with certificates from the IITs/IISc for those who completed the courses successfully.
It is now possible for ANYONE outside the IIT System to be able to do an online certification course from NPTEL and get a certificate from the IITs. IITs are reaching out and taking education to the homes of people through this initiative.
NPTEL began the initiative of offering certification to students for courses in March 2014. The process of certification is as follows.
- Subject Matter Experts (SME - faculty from IITs or partner institutes with input from industry) create recorded video content for courses.
- The course is uploaded on the portal and opened for enrollments, which is free.
- Every week, about 3 hrs of video content is released along with an assignment , which is evaluated and provides the student with a score.
- Teaching Assistants (TAs) and the faculty members support the discussion forum – answering questions and clearing doubts.
- If someone wants to get a certificate from the IITs/IISc after doing the course, he/she should register for the in-person proctored certification exam that is conducted in 100+ cities across India in collaboration with an exam partner. The certification exam is not free but has a nominal fee of Rs 1000.
- Final score=25% assignment score + 75% exam score. The pass criteria for exams is being changed from July 2019. A learner will pass and be certified only if Average assignment score (out of 100) >= 40 AND Final exam score ( out of 100) >= 40. E-verifiable certificates are made available on nptel.ac.in/noc Only e-certificates will be published. Hard copies of certificates will NOT be printed.
These certificates are envisioned for use in credit transfer to universities or for making the student more employable or for enhancing his growth in his current place of work.